Finding and Creating Real and Meaningful
Context
I was taught the importance of
contextualized learning as a graduate
student at UNC Chapel Hill. My professors felt that in traditional language
classes there was too much focus on grammar and lexical structures. Teachers
designed worksheets which had great examples of the structures being studied,
but the sentences lacked meaning because they were not connected
thematically. These days, teaching
language in context is more of a mainstream idea and most textbooks have paragraphs
that provide students "real-life situations", but I feel that we can
still do more. Language teachers need to
create contexts that are real and meaningful.
We can't just give students a prompt and expect that them to talk- we
have to give them a reason to communicate.
It is a complex process since there is a diverse group of students, who
are pursuing different majors, but it is not impossible.
One of the
easiest ways of creating meaningful context is using current issues, but it also
means that course content will have to be revised frequently. I often use
materials from BBCmundo http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/, el país (from Spain) http://elpais.com/,
CNNespañol http://cnnespanol.cnn.com/
and Univision http://www.univision.com/
for U.S. and Latin American news. I choose stories which encourage students to
express their opinions, practice new vocabulary and contain the grammar/structures
we study. Of course, very often the news
changes while I am teaching it. In fact,
a few weeks ago in class we were talking about Hugo Chavez’s illness in class and
when we finished my student looked at her phone and said, “He’s dead”. Beginners are sometimes slightly intimidated
the first few times they encounter real life materials, but with guidance and
practice they can understand them and they have the satisfaction that they are
learning “real” Spanish. When I finish my lessons I often have students
tell me that discussed the same topic in their public policy, economics, or
anthropology class and I have come to understand how much this interdisciplinary
model increases learning.
Of all the models we have seen the MOST method seems the most applicable to
foreign language teaching, since it focuses on ¨natural learning¨. We try to
mimic the ways in which students learn their first language in the
classroom. The description of the method reminded me of
the basis for one of the most successful Spanish textbooks, which was called Destinos. It was based on a series of videos and stories
about people travelling in different Spanish-speaking countries and gave the
student the feeling that they were watching a telenovela. The creators of the MOST
methods would recognize its basic principles of promoting literacy and the text which was used in high schools across the
U.S.
Goal-based learning, the Star Legacy
method, and Anchored Instruction also deserve a prominent place in the foreign
language classroom, especially in the higher levels where students have enough
communication skills to solve the problem in the target language. These scenarios, which give the students a “mission”,
“goal” or “challenge”, emphasize the idea that meaningful context improves
retention and lets the student use their knowledge and practice their skills.
Of course, none of these methods will be
effective if are context is false or too complicated for the level we are
teaching. I realized this in a recent
conversation with a
friend whose daughter is in fifth grade.
He child was given a party scenario in order to practice fractions. She was in charge of making a party mix which
called for four fifths of cup of marshmallows and three twelfths of a cup of
M&M’s. In the article written by Schank,
Berman and MacPherson, they note that in goal-bases scenarios the mission “must
be somewhat realistic” (163). Since no
one measures or buys M&M’s or marshmallows in those amounts, the assignment
lacked the realism necessary in to make it meaningful. It was also
lengthy and the steps were not described in a way that a fifth-grader could
easily understand.
Next semester, I will be teaching
my service-learning course. The benefits of service-Learning for the students
and the professor are numerous and the service activity provides a ready-made context
for students. My students will volunteer
in ESL classes in Durham-public schools and in a student-run organization which
helps English learners improve their skills.
We will discuss how race, gender
and language issues form one’s identity and they will meet Latino/as in the
community who are experiencing difficulties as they navigate these issues in North
Carolina. Duke supports Sakai as our
learning environment and I will use it to organize course readings, blog
entries, and discussion boards. For next
semester, I have applied for a grant to get Ipads for the students and hope to
use livebinder http://www.livebinders.com/
so each of them can create a portfolio.
No comments:
Post a Comment